The name Church House Inn dates back to the 1400’s when the Church decreed to cleanup the Churches by moving retail and social activities outside. Adjacent to the churches houses were built or bought or were already owned by the church and so reclassified. Our Church House falls into the last category there having been a building on the site noted as far back as 1028. It is therefore one of the oldest pub sites in Devon if not England. In the 12C it would have been the dwelling occupied by the stonemasons who were building a stone church on the site of the previously wooden structure and ale would have been produced. There are possibly a few parts of the present building dating back to that time but most of the building’s structure dates from the 16C when it and the Church had major overhauls. It is these aspects of the building which lend to give the pub its truly old atmosphere and character and even the resident ghost is friendly if a little shy!!
Whilst purporting to have a tunnel leading to the crypt in the church, we have not found it or heard the vicar knocking to be let in but the pub does consist of the old bar, a newer restaurant (built within the walls of the old stable block) and an extensive garden.