THE NEW RESTAURANT
The Church House Inn is steeped in history – nearly a thousand years of it! So after a nine-month building project carried out with the support of English Heritage it’s great to announce our new 40-cover dining room is now open for business.
Drawing on the pub’s heritage (the main Grade II* listed longhouse dates back to 1028AD and was originally built to accommodate the stone masons working on the Church next door) the new dining room utilises the original stable block walls and incorporates a number of bespoke eye catching details.
Exposed oak beams and lime plastered walls surround the room’s centrepiece – an arched oak frame that is specifically based on the old oak frames that would have been found in original fourteenth century Church Houses. Local architect Emma Heaver from Torbryan has overseen the project with Carpenter Oak near Totnes carving the frame. Other features include distressed oak flooring and a wrought iron chandelier with matching wall lights commissioned from Dean Forge in Buckfastleigh.
The outside patio area around the large glass fronted oak doors has been decked with Indian sandstone and finished with teak furniture. A new wood fired oven has also been installed with regular pizza evenings already proving very popular. The room also lends itself perfectly to functions. So far this summer we’ve hosted a wedding, several anniversary parties and birthday celebrations. If you have an event in mind just drop us a line – if we can we will!
JOHN AND WILLIAM EDWARDS
T: 01364 642 220
Mondays – Closed (until April)
Tuesday – Saturday 1200 – 2300
Sunday – 12.00 – 2200
(Food 12.00pm – 1430 & 1800 (1700 at weekends) – 2100)